Employment Opportunity: Director
About Camrose Public Library:
Where we are:
In 2019, Camrose Public Library will be celebrating 100 years of service to Camrose and the surrounding communities. The Library has built and nurtured partnerships in order to create a strong web of support for our community. We have laid the groundwork for members of the community to be able to find the help they need, and we pride ourselves on being a space for those who may not otherwise have a space.
Where we are going:
We intend to continue our work by fostering relationships between people and organizations. We want to meet the community in their spaces and respond to their needs. As a result, our programs and services will be a meaningful part of the lives of our community members.
The Camrose Public Library Director is responsible for providing strategic leadership and vision to the organization while providing high quality public library service to enhance the City of Camrose and surrounding areas while maintaining the Library’s vision, mission, and values. The Director plans, organizes, and manages all aspects of the Library’s operations to meet the needs of the community within the strategic, policy, and financial parameters established by the Camrose Public Library Board. The Director oversees a $1 million annual operating budget and leads a staff of 25 in a team-based, collaborative environment.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ensures Camrose Public Library is a leader in innovative library service.
- Ensures high quality customer service is delivered in the Library and in the community.
- Oversees all operational leadership of the Library and its impact on all sectors of the community.
Board and Governance Support
- Familiarity with policy development and provincial legislation. Keeps the Board advised of relevant developments in governance, policy, and operational services.
- Ensures the effective implementation of Board policies and decisions.
- Provides leadership in development and implementation of the Board’s Plan of Service.
- Establishes operational plans and regularly reports outcomes to the Board and community partners.
- Understanding of community engagement and communications. Develops and maintains effective relationship with community agencies to better serve the community.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with municipal and provincial departments.
- Participates in professional and community associations as the voice of Camrose Public Library.
- Develops and maintains the annual budget within the framework of the Plan of Service.
- Ensures that sound financial structures and accurate reporting is in place.
- Human Resources:
- Ensures that comprehensive human resources practices are established and maintained.
- Facilities Management:
- Works with the City of Camrose to ensure the facility is safe and adequately maintained.
- Provides space-planning guidance within Occupational Health and Safety parameters.
- Master of Library and Information Studies from an ALA-accredited institution.
- 7 years of progressive leadership is preferred. Suitable equivalencies will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change and develop a team
- Awareness of library trends and best practices.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and develop effective partnerships with appropriate stakeholders.
- Strong financial, communications, human resources, and project management skills.
- Experience working with a Board.
- Provide innovative leadership in an inclusive team-based culture. Ability to mentor and motivate employees.
- Fiscal responsibility and experience in budgeting.
- Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Embodies an open, communicative, and collaborative management style, empowering and mentoring staff. Design-thinking approach to change desirable.
- Ability to negotiate competing priorities.
- Experience with Polaris Integrated Library System desirable.
A competitive compensation package with excellent salary and benefits will be discussed with the successful candidate.
Apply by emailing your resume, cover, and references in pdf format to:
Chair, Camrose Public Library
Competition closes on November 16, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.